We’re doing a fun, awareness challenge THIS WEEK ONLY (8/6 – 8/10)! It’s called the “Check the Label Challenge”.
It’s exactly what it sounds like…check the labels of your personal care products! Simple, yes. But when was the last time you ever did that? Do you know what ingredients you are lathering all over your skin and hair? There are harmful and questionable ingredients in nearly every product that we checked in our own cabinets! Can you believe that one of my products even had this warning?
Here’s How It Works:
Each day this week, we will be showing you products from our own cabinets that we are going to be tossing out because they contain an ingredient that is on the Never List. In an effort to encourage other’s to check the labels of their products, too, we decided a group challenge + a prize was the perfect way to get started and help raise awareness.
To participate, do the following:
- Print off the Never List, read our Filthy Five List, and/or pull up the EWG Cosmetics Skin Deep Database on your computer or phone.
- Pull out as many products from your bathroom cabinets as you’d like to check.
- Read through each ingredient on the labels of your products (you may have to look the ingredients up online) and check for the harmful and questionable ingredients that are on the lists in step #1. You can also type your product into the Skin Deep Database to check their rating.
- When you find a harmful ingredient in a product, write the name of the ingredient on a sticky note and attach it to the back of your product. Do this with as many products as you choose.
- Take a photo of the back of the product/s with the ingredient/s attached to it, like the example below. Please also use permanent marker or your hand to cover the brand’s name if it is also on the back of the product.
- Post the photo on Facebook, either on your own timeline or in the comments of any Check the Label Challenge posts or live video on A Beautiful Less Facebook Page.
- Tag us (@abeautifulless) in the photo so we don’t miss it!
What You Could Win:
A $20 credit towards the purchase of a safer skincare product of YOUR choice by Beautycounter.
Choosing a Winner:
All participants who post a photo of at least one product with the ingredient listed will be added to a spreadsheet. A winner will be selected through a random number generator. The winner will be announced on A Beautiful Less Facebook page no later than Sunday, August 12th.
If you haven’t yet watched Julie’s live announcement about the challenge, here it is! She shares the products she’s tossing from her cabinet.
We hope you’ll join us in this challenge! You might be shocked at how many of your favorite products contain ingredients that aren’t good for your health. In fact, many of them are even banned in other countries, but not here in the U.S. ! Good luck, we can’t wait to see how many of you participate and what an eye opening experience this can be. If you have any questions about these ingredients, the challenge, or want our product recommendations, let us know!